Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Finally, interesting paperwork...

Today my project for the day was to get a statement from my vet that my cat is well, vaccinated and well taken care of. Bizarre, but whatever. I just got an e-mail saying we had to do this. So, I typed up a letter "from" the vet to our HS agent giving all the dates of our cat's vaccinations and the date and results of our most recent visit (April, I figure that's close enough that I don't need a new exam for him. Our medical tests were before that!).

We stopped by the vet and asked if they would be willing to sign this letter. We sat down to wait as they pulled our file, talked to the vet and waited for them to do whatever they needed to do. The receptionist offered to let my 3 year old hold a kitten that was in a cage in the lobby. She thought that sounded pretty good, so although I think we waited quite a while we were all fairly entertained by the adorable yellow kitten she had in her lap. My 18 month old enjoyed throwing the dog toy balls all over the floor. She found one she particularly liked and showed it to me and talked about almost the entire time (as much at 18mo olds talk).

Finally, the vet was ready to talk to me and I explained what we were doing and why we needed the letter. He commented that this seemed almost like a court document for a court case. I commented that I thought it was amusing that I was adopting and they required evidence that I cared for and vaccinated my CAT but nothing requires me to prove that I care for and vaccinate my KIDS! He made some comment about no one adopting my kids... After I got home I ran through the conversations in my head and I now think that the vet office thought I was getting this form signed so someone would adopt my CAT! I guess I had kind of forgotten that in the animal world, adoption means placing a dog or cat into a home. How funny, anyway, I have the letter and my cat although over 20lbs, is in good health and vaccinated.

We actually enjoyed getting this paperwork done. Can't go wrong with petting kittens and dogs while you wait! Should I admit I took the kids to get Krispy Kreme when we finished? Nah.

We're almost done. Looks like my husband's police clearance from CA was lost in the mail. Mine was received 2 months ago, and our checks were cashed on the same day. We'll be in CA next week, so I guess a visit to the police station for fingerprinting (and submitting this paperwork for the 3RD! time). Other than that, we are still waiting for our child abuse clearances that our first HS guy supposedly submitted in December. Then, supposedly he resubmitted them in April. He got CA rejected because he didn't bother to send the required checks (or ask us for them) and we are waiting to hear back if he got anything from DC or FL. Hopefully, that would make life easier.

We expected to be done by now, so we have been notarizing our documents as we go. Now, at $50 a page, that's not cheap. But when there is one notary in town, he can charge whatever he wants. Well, we'll be in CA next week and I hear it's only about $10 a page. If we'd known it would all take this long, we would have just notarized everything there. Oh well.

I wonder what it takes to be a notary and if I can be one overseas. Not a bad side job if you are the only one in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment